My Five Year Plan

My Five Year Plan - When I first started reading the Bible, I thought that it might be nice if someone listed the 613 commandments of the Mosaic Law and gave the rationale as to whether each is binding on Christians. I finally decided to take on the task myself. However, at the rate that I'm going, this will take me about five years. For more background on this blog, click here. If you take issue with any conclusions please post them. I'll be happy to engage in cordial discourse. ...Finally, if you are here for the first time, it's probably best to scroll down and read the posts in chronological order. The archive is to the right.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

35. Do not derive benefit from it

The 35th commandment of Mosaic Law is to not derive benefit from it (a city that has turned to apostasy and burnt down as a consequence).

Where in scripture?
Deuteronomy 13:18
You shall not retain anything that is doomed, that the blazing wrath of the LORD may die down and he may show you mercy and in his mercy for you may multiply you as he promised your fathers on oath.

New Testament References
Romans 12:19
Beloved, do not look for revenge but leave room for the wrath; for it is written, "Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord."

In the previous post, I discussed how the Mitzvah to burn a city that has turned to idol worship is not binding on Christians. Since we should not burn down a city that has turned to apostasy, the question as to whether anything can be derived from it, such as pillaging it before it is burnt, is moot.

Conclusion
Not binding on Christians  

No comments:

Post a Comment