My Five Year Plan

My Five Year Plan - When I first started reading the Bible, I thought that it might be nice if someone listed the 613 commandments of the Mosaic Law and gave the rationale as to whether each is binding on Christians. I finally decided to take on the task myself. However, at the rate that I'm going, this will take me about five years. For more background on this blog, click here. If you take issue with any conclusions please post them. I'll be happy to engage in cordial discourse. ...Finally, if you are here for the first time, it's probably best to scroll down and read the posts in chronological order. The archive is to the right.

Saturday, November 27, 2010

15. Do not hate fellow Jews

The 15th commandment of Mosaic Law is to not hate fellow Jews

Where in scripture?
Leviticus  19:17
You shall not bear hatred for your brother in your heart.

Another Old Testament verse that is relevant is Proverbs 10:12
Hatred stirs up disputes, but love covers all offenses.

New Testament Reference:
As we discussed in a previous post, Matthew 22:39 says, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

Catechism of the Catholic Church
2303 Deliberate hatred is contrary to charity. Hatred of the neighbor is a sin when one deliberately wishes him evil. Hatred of the neighbor is a grave sin when one deliberately desires him grave harm. "But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven."

The Confiteor
I confess to almighty God, and to you, my brothers and sisters, that I have sinned through my own fault, in my thoughts and in my words…

I’m sorry for such a brief post, but I can’t think of anything else to add.

Conclusion
Binding on Christians 

No comments:

Post a Comment