My Five Year Plan

My Five Year Plan - When I first started reading the Bible, I thought that it might be nice if someone listed the 613 commandments of the Mosaic Law and gave the rationale as to whether each is binding on Christians. I finally decided to take on the task myself. However, at the rate that I'm going, this will take me about five years. For more background on this blog, click here. If you take issue with any conclusions please post them. I'll be happy to engage in cordial discourse. ...Finally, if you are here for the first time, it's probably best to scroll down and read the posts in chronological order. The archive is to the right.

Saturday, November 6, 2010

9. Listen to the Prophet speaking in His Name

The ninth commandment in Mosaic Law is to listen to the Prophet speaking in His Name.

Where in scripture?
Deuteronomy 18:15
A prophet like me will the LORD, your God, raise up for you from among your own kinsmen; to him you shall listen.

Discussion:
I was going to write a post on Authority, but I realized that in order to cover it properly, it would probably take two or three posts. I’m going to put it off for another week or so when I have more time.

In regard to this ninth commandment, the NAB footnotes to Deuteronomy 18 tell us that Christian understanding of this verse is that Christ is the Great Prophet in whom the prophetic office finds its fulfillment and completion, this passage was understood in a special Messianic sense both by the Jews (John 6:14; 7:40) and by the Apostles (Acts 3:22; 7:37).

The two verses in Acts refer directly to Deuteronomy 18:15.

New Testament references
John 6:14
When the people saw the sign he had done, they said, "This is truly the Prophet, the one who is to come into the world.  

John 7:40
Some in the crowd who heard these words said, "This is truly the Prophet."

Acts 3:22
For Moses said: 'A prophet like me will the Lord, your God, raise up for you from among your own kinsmen; to him you shall listen in all that he may say to you.’

Acts 7:37
It was this Moses who said to the Israelites, 'God will raise up for you, from among your own kinsfolk, a prophet like me.’

Christians understand that this Mosaic Law requires them to listen to Jesus.

Conclusion
Binding on Christians

No comments:

Post a Comment